Friday, March 6, 2009

Lesson Learned

A few days ago my mom took me for a walk/run to visit her Ant and drop off a package. She said she lived around the block and we shouldn't be lazy and take the car, but I would have loved either!!

When we arrived at our destination, we had already been over a mile, but upon entering her house I immediately smelled a doggy. Mom asked if it was ok for me to be off leash and explore and then after getting permission she let me go. I had fun going around searching for whoever I might find. (Later mom told me the dog who lived there was no longer there, and something about being in a better place where he had no more pain.)

During all this I heard mom telling the people that she wish she hadn't taken the route we had, because she felt like she was getting certain looks about who I was, but I didn't notice, I was just happy to be on a walk and was working on my heel!! After I was finished exploring I was excited to go say hi to the Ant (she looked like a lady to me) and then meet the new person. I was about a foot away from her and wagging my tail happily when she suddenly yelled "Get it away from me!"

Mom immediately asked me to come sit by her and I happy to obey. I wasn't sure what I had done wrong, but didn't like that I had made someone I didn't even know yell. It was saddening, so I patiently waited until mom was ready to finish our walk, I didn't want to be there anymore.

On our way home mom started talking to me about what happened, we weren't sure if maybe the lady didn't like dogs or if it was just me. But I think mom was really sad and upset, she said she's never had anyone directly act like that toward her and me. Mom was frustrated, because she had just been telling Ant and lady that she didn't like the looks she sometimes got, but dealt with it with a smile and a big Hi to people and by showing them how good I was.

Mom later learned from Ant that the other lady was indeed terrified of Pit Bulls and "dogs of that nature." It totally bummed her out as the lady didn't even try to truly meet me.

Mom said it's a lesson learned that not everyone's mind can be changed and it's something we'll have to continue to fight. She was thankful that she hadn't ever encountered that before in the two years we've been together, but that it probably won't be the only time. I guess I've learned that not everyone we visit or that I meet is put on earth to play with me, but that's ok I have a mom and friends who I know love me.

1 comment: